It’s common to end up with squashed straw hats, especially when traveling. However, there is no reason to throw it away, and it’s pretty simple to take care of this headwear. You can reshape the hat and use it just as it was earlier.
Wet the hat with steam
Steaming the hat is one of the earliest steps you have to take if you want to reshape your hat. You may try steaming the headwear, the most common way of getting a straw hat back to shape. If you have a steamer at home, the process becomes easy. However, even if you do not have it, you can use your iron with a steam setting. These days’ hat stores provide industrial steamers for this purpose. If you have local stores selling it, you can take help. However, there are a few steps you have to follow when steaming the hat at home:
- Ensure that the steam applies to the brim at first. Steam loosens the fiber and helps the hat regain its shape.
- You may boil water in a pot and hold the hat over it, but you have to be very careful when the water boils.
- If you feel that the steam is saturating the headwear too much, you may stop the process for a few minutes. Start it once the temperature becomes bearable.
Pop the brims
Now coming to the second most vital step when steaming the hat. Steam the cap for at least 6 to 8 minutes and keep the brim away from the boiling water. Ensure that the stream does not damage the fiber as well as your hat. Pop the brim and follow the following directions:
- After you direct the steam at the brim, steam the inside of the crown.
- The steam will start popping the dent in the headwear. Be very careful because you do not prefer the steamer to touch the straw.
- Continue it till the hat is damp. Even if there is too much moisture inside the cap, there is nothing to fear. The humidity will help straighten the fabric.
Mold the headwear
Use your fingers for molding the hat. While streaming the cap, start getting the hat into shape by constantly setting the material with the help of your hands. For this, you have to pull the fiber with the help of your fingers while molding the hat. You may also use a spoon to develop the headwear’s shape while still steaming. After steaming the straw hats for men, put a folded towel, bowl, or other items inside the headwear. It helps the crown regain its shape. Always wear gloves when engaging in this process. It may be dangerous because you are dealing with boiling water.
Wet the headwear
If you feel that steaming is not helping you get your hat back to shape, you may have to wet the headwear inside. The technique works efficiently with squeezed straw hats. Primarily, it works amazingly on the brims. Spray the headwear with water because the moisture will make the fiber pliable. Along with this, you have to follow the below-given points:
- Spray water on the hat. If you do not have a sprayer, you can dip the hat into warm water.
- Ensure that the hat is evenly wet and turn it around to mold it back into shape.
- You may be worried about moisture in the hat, but that is alright. It is one of the easiest ways of reshaping a hat.
Reshape the headwear
Use a towel to mold the hat rather than stream or wet the hat. Mold it into shape by using a moist towel. The moisture will help to relax the straw and get it back into shape. Put the straw hat on the rolled-up towel, and let it sit for some time. Roll the towel widely so that you can stretch the headwear as far as possible. The towel method is helpful if the streaming method does not work. Stuff the crown with a cotton shirt or tissue paper to not get crumbled when molded under the towel.
Use round objects
Put a round object inside the crown to give a head-like shape. Strings, clips, or weight can help in holding the head down. You may also use any other round-like thing readily available at home but ensure that it perfectly sits inside the crown. If it is too big, it may damage the headwear. Anything that fits the height of the hat will help you with a magnificent finish.
These are a few easy tips and tricks that will help you get your hat back into shape. After the wetting and steaming process, drying is very critical. You have to dry your head in the sunlight or below the fan, whatever is feasible for you. Ensure that there is no moisture inside the hat and store it in a place away from sunlight and water.