People who exhibit symptoms of anemia should consult a hematologist in Lahore. The specialist will conduct tests to diagnose and evaluate the severity of the condition. The treatment will help the person to recover smoothly without further complications.
Anemia is a condition in which the individual has a deficiency of healthy red blood cells in the body. The red blood cells are responsible for transporting oxygen to the body organs. It can lead to complications; hence, it is essential to seek immediate medical help to avoid correlated health risks. Women are at a higher risk of suffering from anemia as compared to men.
Symptoms of Anemia
The symptoms of anemia include:
- The person has recurrent episodes of shortness of breath.
- The person remains inactive, stressed, weak, and cannot actively participate in physical activities.
- The skin of the patient appears pale.
- The patient may feel dizzy most of the time.
- The hands and feet of the patient remain cold, even in summers.
- The patient has compromised immunity. It can cause multiple problems, and the person may suffer from recurrent infection.
Known Causes of Anemia
The causes of anemia include:
- The person may become anemic due to the reduced production of RBCs.
- The person may suffer from hemolytic anemia due to the destruction of RBCs in the body.
- People suffering from compromised immune systems suffer from anemia. Individuals diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and systemic lupus erythematosus are at a higher risk of suffering from anemia.
- Children and Adults who are malnutrition are anemic. Due to iron, Vitamin B12, and folate deficiency, there is low production of RBCs in the body.
- External bleeding can cause anemia.
- Women who have heavy bleeding during menstruation are more likely to be anemic.
- Women who don’t take a balanced diet during pregnancy are more likely to suffer from complications, such as anemia.
- Individuals with close family members diagnosed with anemia are more likely to suffer from the condition and correlated complications.
The preventive measures to minimize the likelihood of suffering from anemia and correlated complications include:
- People should consume iron-enriched food.
- People should consume food enriched with Vitamin B12 and folate acid to fulfill their daily requirements.
- Individuals should make sure that they take Vitamin C. It helps in the absorption of iron in the body.
- Anemic patients should limit their caffeine intake. It reduces the absorption of iron in the body.
Complication Correlated with Anemia
The complications associated with the condition are:
- The folate deficiency can cause multiple problems in the pregnancy. It can cause premature birth or hindrance in the development of the child.
- People who have external bleeding can lose their life.
- Anemia can cause heart-related problems. Due to hindrance in the oxygen supply, the person may suffer from heart failure and increased heart size.
The tests that assist in diagnosing a person with anemia are:
- The complete blood count helps check if the level of the blood cells is normal.
- RBC Morphology evaluates the size and shape of the blood cells to identify the cause.
- Reticulocyte count test helps to identify the type of anemia before the treatment.
- The iron profile helps determine the content in the body to evaluate the severity of the condition.
Effective Treatment Options
- Use of Antianemia drug: The medication helps overcome the iron and vitamin deficiency in the body.
- Blood Transfusion Procedure: If the medication is proven ineffective to treat aplastic and hemolytic anemia; then the next option is blood transfusion.
- Splenectomy: The procedure is proven effective if the person is suffering from bone marrow disease and anemia.
Individuals diagnosed with anemia must visit a hematologist in Islamabad. The specialist will help in diagnosing the type and cause. Additionally, the doctor will provide guidance regarding the most effective treatment plan that will allow a smooth and quick recovery.